7.10.10

An Artist's Perspective


Kristen
             Kristen Lee is a recent college graduate with a degree in 3rd dimensional art. She has been able to experience and has been exposed to many different types and styles of art and design. She is my inspiration and most of what is on this website has been created by her or stemmed from her fantastic abilities in the art realm.  Today, I’m going to ask her a few questions and let you see where she gets some of her creative designs.

Q: What types of art have you been able to experience?
A: I have had the opportunity to experience a variety of art, from painting murals to metal work. Primarily, I am a sculptor and I have worked in clay, wood, metal, and fiber.

Q: Out of all these different venues, which is your favorite?
A: Clay is definitely my favorite medium to work with, but especially when mixed with another mediums.

Q: Where do you get most of your ideas?
A: A lot of my ideas stem from my fascination with aquatic life/sea creatures.

Q: What do you recommend doing to come up with new and exciting ideas?
A: Often when I am in need of inspiration, I go to a bookstore and look at magazines and books. However, I do not usually go for magazines that are necessarily in the same medium that I want to work in, but rather nature magazines, or current design magazines, or something to help me create an original idea rather that copying someone else’s.

Q: What is a major “no no” in the art world when it comes to making a new product?
A: I would have to say that my art teacher’s always stressed not settling for my first idea/sketch, but rather to push the idea further and further till you get something that is excellent!

Q: Where do you go for inspiration?
A: Often it is good to look at the history of your subject matter/theme for deeper inspiration. When you understand the function or purpose of a subject, you can create a design that has a richer meaning and can possibly enhance your overall design.

Q: Do people have to have a major in any type of art in order to create the type of designs on the website?
A: I don’t think you have to major in art to create these types of designs, but you definitely need some graphic design classes to help the aesthetic rules of design from an artist’s perspective.